BY-LAWS OF THE GREATER JAMESVILLE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
(A NOT FOR PROFIT CORPORATION)
ARTICLE 1 - ORGANIZATION
1. The name of this organization shall be The Greater Jamesville Chamber of Commerce.
2. The organization may have a seal and/or emblem in such form as may be adopted by the Board of Directors.
3. The principle office shall be located in the Village of Jamesville, County of Onondaga at such location as the Board of Directors may from time to time determine.
ARTICLE 2 - PURPOSE AND STRUCTURE
1. The purpose or objects for which this organization are to develop, encourage, promote and protect, the commercial, professional, financial and general business interest of the Greater Jamesville area; to extend and promote the trade commerce, and foster, develop and protect the industry of the area; to encourage the development of the transportation facilities and various resources of the area, and to procure laws and regulations desirable for the benefit of businesses in general and provide for a forum for the reflection of the sentiments of business regarding matter affecting interests.
2. The chamber shall be nonpartisan and nonsectarian, and shall take no part in or lend its influence or facilities, either directly, or indirectly, to the nomination, election or appointment of any candidate for the office in any governmental subdivision. Nor shall any meeting of a political nature whatsoever be held within the premises occupied by or under the control of political or otherwise, effecting the Chamber, its members or its objectives.
3. The Chamber shall remain a non-profit organization.
ARTICLE 3 - MEMBERSHIP
1. ELIGIBILITY - Upon approval of the Board of Directors, any person or organization interested in the furthering of the objectives of the Chamber may be admitted to the membership in the organization, after submitting an application for membership and receipt dues.
2. CLASSES - Various classes of membership may be designated and established by the Board of Directors, including but not limited to business and non-business memberships, with various sub-division under each such class of membership. The Board of Directors shall establish a schedule of dues, rights, obligations, privileges, limitations, and restrictions pertaining to the various classes of membership so established, provided, however, that the Board of Directors may not limit the voting rights of any member as otherwise herein provided. * The status of whether a member of The Greater Jamesville Chamber of Commerce will be classified as a business membership or non-business membership will be based solely on the membership application and membership fees paid to The Greater Jamesville Chamber of Commerce.
3. SUSPENSION - Members may be suspended by the Board of Directors for cause or for non-payment of dues or special assessments within a reasonable time fixed by the Board of Directors. No member may be suspended without the opportunity of a hearing before the Board of Directors. A three-fourths (3/4) vote of all directors present shall be necessary to suspend a member. A suspended member shall have the right to appeal to the membership of the Chamber of Commerce. Upon his written request, a special meeting of the said membership is to be called within thirty (30) days of the making of such a written request, or at the annual meeting of the membership if such annual meeting falls not more than ninety (90) days, but not less than ten (10) days, after the date of such request.
4 VOTING ** - Each business membership shall be entitled to one (1) vote at the annual or any special meeting of the membership, regardless of the designation, class or size of the enterprise represented by such membership. Non-business memberships and family memberships will also be entitled to one (1) vote.
ARTICLE 4 - MEETINGS
1. Annual *** - The annual membership meeting of this organization shall be held on the third Wednesday of January of each and every year. The Secretary shall send a notice telling the time and place of such annual meeting, said notice to be published at least five (5) days prior to the date of such meeting.
2. Special - A special meeting of this organization may be called by majority of the Board of Directors or by petition of any ten (10) members of the Chamber submitted to the Executive Committee. The secretary shall send a notice telling the time and place of such special meeting, which notices shall be sent out at least (10) days, but not more than twenty (20) days prior to the date of such meeting. Such notice shall state the reasons that such a meeting has been called, the business to be transacted at such meeting, and by whom called. No other business but that specified in the notice may be transacted at such special meeting without unanimous consent of all present at such meeting.
3. QUORUM - At any meeting of the membership of this organization, a quorum shall consist of those members present.
B. Board of Directors
1. Regular - Regular meetings of the Board shall be held at the office of the Chamber or at any other place in the Greater Jamesville area each month on such days as the Board may determine. A notice of the time and place of such meeting shall be given to each member of the Board in person, by telephone, or by mail at least five (5) days prior to such meeting.
2. Special - Special meetings of the Board may be called at any time upon three (3) days notice in person, by telephone, or by mail by the President, three (3) directors or ten (10) members of the Chamber. Such notice of special meeting shall state, in addition to the time and place of such meeting, the purpose thereof.
3. WAIVER OF NOTICE - Notice requirements for any meeting of the Board may be waived by nine (9) directors.
4. QUORUM - Except as otherwise provided herein, at any meeting of the Board, a quorum shall consist of six (6) directors.
5. In the absence of the President, Vice-Presidents, and Past President at any meeting of the Board, the Board may elect one of its members to preside over the meeting.
C. Executive Committee
1. Executive Committee meetings may be called by any officer for the consideration of any issues at any time
2. QUORUM - At any executive meeting, a quorum shall be three-quarters (3/4) of the total membership of the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE 5 - VOTING
1. At all meetings of the Membership, Board of Directors, or Executive committee, except for the election of officers and directors, and except upon request of a majority present at such meeting as herein after set forth, all votes shall be viva voca. * In order for the members of The Board of Directors of The Greater Jamesville Chamber of Commerce to vote on issues, they must be at least but not limited to 7 members of the Board of Directors present at the meeting, at least 4 of which may be business representatives.
2. For election of officers and directors, voting shall be by secret ballot and there shall not appear any place on such ballot any mark or marking that might tend to indicate the name of the person casting such ballot.
3. At any meeting of the membership, Board of Directors or Executive Committee, if a majority so requires, any question shall be voted on by secret ballot as hereinbefore provided.
4. At all votes by ballot, the chairman of such meeting shall immediately prior to the commencement of the balloting appoint a committee of two (2) who shall act as "Inspectors of Election", and who shall, at the conclusion of such balloting certify to the Chairman the results of such ballot. No inspector of Election shall be a candidate for the office for which he supervises the election.
5. Except as otherwise provide herein, at any meeting of the Membership, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, majority vote shall decide any question.
ARTICLE 6 - BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1. NUMBER - There shall be nine (9) members of the Board of Directors, of which five (5) shall be officers and four (4) shall be individuals elected directors as provided herein. Directorships which shall be filled by the President, Past President, Treasurer, and Secretary and five (5) other individuals elected or appointed to fill said Directorships. * The Board of Directors of The Greater Jamesville of Commerce, which includes 4 Officers, 1 Past President, and 4 Board Members, must be comprised of at least but not limited to 6 representatives of businesses which are members of The Greater Jamesville Chamber of Commerce. Noting that only one representative from each business is allowed. Also note, that only one representative from each non-business or family membership is also allowed.
ARTICLE 7 - OFFICERS
ARTICLE 8 - STANDING AND SPECIAL COMMITTEES
1. It shall be the function of each Standing or Special Committee to act within the power and authority granted to it. Such committees otherwise shall have only authority to decide matters of interest of such committees, and not matters affecting the community or the organization as a whole.
2. In addition to the specific powers of authority granted to it, each committee shall investigate and make recommendations to the Board of Directors and Executive Committee as to any matter pertaining generally to the purposes for which such committee was established.
3. Designation of the chairman of each committee, standing or special, shall be bye the President of the Chamber, subject to confirmation thereof by the Board of Directors.
4. Meetings of any such committee my be called at any time by the Chamber of such committee or by the President of the Chamber.
ARTICLE 9 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
1. DISBURSEMENTS - No disbursements of the funds of the Chamber shall be made unless the same shall have been approved, authorized and ordered by the Board of Directors. All disbursements shall be made by check. Checks shall be signed by 2 of the 4 officers of the Chamber.
2. FISCAL YEAR - The fiscal year of the organization shall be January 1 to the following December 31st. However, the directors and officers elected at the annual meeting shall assume their responsibility immediately after the annual meeting.
3. PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE - All meetings of the membership and Board of Directors shall be covered by and conducted according to the latest edition of Roberts' Rules of Order.
4. Any reference to the pro-nouns "he". "him", and "his" shall be deemed to refer to either gender as the case may be or as the sense of the instrument may dictate.
5. AMENDMENTS -
* Added to By-Laws by vote of the general membership on 21 January 1997.
** By-Law changed by vote of the general membership on 21 January 1997.
*** Day of the week changed by vote of the Board of Directors on 5 February 1997.